WASHINGTON : Sudan’s warring factions have agreed to a new short-term cease-fire, US and Saudi mediators announced on Saturday, after several previous attempts to broker a truce that holds have failed.
Meeting in the Saudi port city of Jeddah, the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces signed off on a seven-day cease-fire that is due to take effect on Monday 9:45 p.m. local time in Sudan, the US and Saudi Arabia said in a joint statement.
The cease-fire could be extended if both sides agree.
“Both parties have conveyed to the Saudi and US facilitators their commitment not to seek military advantage during the 48-hour notification period after signing the agreement and prior to the start of the cease-fire,” it said.
The talks in Jeddah had previously produced an agreement between the two sides on protecting civilians and easing the flow of humanitarian assistance to those affected by the conflict.
But, earlier cease-fire deals have foundered amid accusations by both of violations.
“It is well known that the parties have previously announced cease-fires that have not been observed,” the US-Saudi statement said.
“Unlike previous cease-fires, the Agreement reached in Jeddah was signed by the parties and will be supported by a US-Saudi and international-supported cease-fire monitoring mechanism.”
The Monitoring and Co-ordination Committee is to be made up of three representatives each from the US and Saudi Arabia and three representatives from each party. (arabnews)
Leave a Reply