• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

FG creates 15,000 jobs through implementation of sugar master plan

Vital News by Vital News
March 19, 2022
in Economy
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Ismaila Chafe

The Federal Government says it has so far generated over 15,000 jobs through its National Sugar Master Plan programme, stressing the country will soon achieve self-sufficiency in sugar production.

Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Mr Niyi Adebayo, revealed this in Abuja, at the weekly ministerial briefing organised by the Presidential Communications Team.

According to the minister, currently the nation produces just five per cent of its sugar needs but the government is making frantic efforts to become self-sufficient in making the product available to Nigerians.

He added that although returns on investment in sugar production were slow, government would continue to focus on investing in the sector.

RelatedStories

At Kaduna International Trade Fair, Dangote Group Spotlights Vision 2030

AU Summit : Nigeria Gets Permanent Seat On Board Of African Central Bank

Nigeria-China Relations @55 : Dialogue Highlights Achievements, Strategic Opportunities, Shared Future

Sukuk Team Visits Key Infrastructure Projects In Kogi, Govt. Opts For Non-interest Financing

“We’re looking at Nigeria being self-sufficient in sugar production in 10 years.

“We’re hoping and we believe with the programs that we have in place that within the next 10 years, we will be 100% self-sufficient in sugar, and not only that, we’ll be able to export sugar produced in Nigeria.

“Certainly, with regard to employment, at the moment, the National Sugar Plan has created employment for 15,000 people,’’ he said.

On the effects of the ongoing Russia-Ukraine crisis on Nigeria’s economy, the Minister said his ministry would soon advise the president on what to do.

“Well, I can assure you that my ministry is looking at all the issues involved.

“And since the war has come up, the trade department in my ministry is looking at all the things that we import, and what we export to them with a view to come up with a policy paper, which we will be presenting to the President.

“Like I mentioned earlier, we have mandated our trade department to do an analysis, to look at all the issues involved, and to come up with a report.

“And once that report is ready, it will be presented to Mr. President, after the presentation I shall come here and brief you about it,” he said.

According to the minister, there are many requests from investors around the world, who want to do business with Nigeria in sugar production

“We get interest every day, we analyse these interests, and we give support to anybody who is interested in participating in the backward integration programme of sugar production.

“We are not giving out loans to the people we’re dealing with. We are dealing with recognized major conglomerates within the private sector, who are investing their own funds in the backward integration programme.

“All we are doing is we are providing intervention where possible, assisting them with infrastructure, and that is all.

“We’re not giving out any loans with regards to the sugar backward integration programme,” he added.

Adebayo, who also spoke on ports decongestion in Nigeria, noted that new ports will soon come on board, in order to ease the pressure on Apapa and Tincan ports.

He also explained why the Calabar and Warri ports are not currently being used.

Adebayo disclosed that the Calabar port had a legal challenge involving a subcontract for the dredging of the port.

He said: “On the development of ports, I pointed out earlier that yes, apart from Apapa and Tincan; we have a new port of Lekki coming up. I know that there are plans for a new port to come up in Badagry.

“At the last Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC) meeting, we also looked at the possibility of utilization of Warri port, but there are certain issues and problems with it at the moment that has been looked into.

“I believe the breakwater has collapsed, so the government is looking at how that can be repaired and to see how dredging can be done so that bigger vessels can use that port.

“Calabar port is a problem; apparently there is a court case on that one at the moment with regards to a subcontract for the dredging of that as well.

“As we all know, Port Harcourt and Onne are operating, and the government is looking at improving the road network to that port so that it can ease the congestion of Lagos.” (NAN/vitalnews)

Tags: 00015jobsprogrammeSugar
Previous Post

UNICEF, Katsina sign $3. 5 billion MOU on healthcare service delivery

Next Post

APC National Convention : Committee inspects venue, assures delegates of security

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

At Kaduna International Trade Fair, Dangote Group Spotlights Vision 2030
Business

At Kaduna International Trade Fair, Dangote Group Spotlights Vision 2030

February 16, 2026
AU Summit : Nigeria Gets Permanent Seat On Board Of African Central Bank
Economy

AU Summit : Nigeria Gets Permanent Seat On Board Of African Central Bank

February 13, 2026
Nigeria-China Relations @55 : Dialogue Highlights Achievements, Strategic Opportunities, Shared Future
Economy

Nigeria-China Relations @55 : Dialogue Highlights Achievements, Strategic Opportunities, Shared Future

February 11, 2026
Sukuk Team Visits Key Infrastructure Projects In Kogi, Govt. Opts For Non-interest Financing
Economy

Sukuk Team Visits Key Infrastructure Projects In Kogi, Govt. Opts For Non-interest Financing

February 10, 2026
59 People Killed In Benue Herdsmen Attack On Yelewata –  Gov. Alia
Economy

ECOWAS Launches Women’s Economic Empowerment, Digital Peacebuilding Pilot Scheme In Benue

February 10, 2026
Next Post

APC National Convention : Committee inspects venue, assures delegates of security

TETfund builds 450-bed hostel at Gombe college

INEC promises free, fair, credible governorship election in Ekiti

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

NDLEA Destroys 1.6mkg Illicit Drugs, Largest Seized Cocaine, Heroin Across Lagos, Ogun, Oyo States

NDLEA Destroys 1.6mkg Illicit Drugs, Largest Seized Cocaine, Heroin Across Lagos, Ogun, Oyo States

11 months ago
Abiodun Approves Appointment Of Chief Press Secretary

Abiodun Approves Appointment Of Chief Press Secretary

3 years ago

Ayinde, American – Nigerian music Director jailed 90 years for raping his six daughters

4 years ago
Adeleke Rejects Tribunal Verdict, Heads to Appeal Court

Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Osun Governorship Election Tussle Friday, March 24

3 years ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security students Tinubu troops US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Ramadan, Lent : Abiodun Salutes Muslim, Christian Faithful, Seeks Prayers For Nigeria, Leaders

Trending

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying
Politics

TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act

by Vital News
February 21, 2026
0

The Tinubu Media Support Group (TMSG) has endorsed President Bola Tinubu's swift assent to the Electoral Act...

Gov. Abiodun Appoints Nine Permanent Secretaries, New Principals-General, Headteachers-General

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

February 21, 2026
Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

February 21, 2026
Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

February 20, 2026
Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

February 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act February 21, 2026
  • Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process February 21, 2026
  • Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore February 21, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In