• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home Judiciary

Manslaughter : Appeal Court Discharges, Acquits Maj. Akeem Oseni

Vital News by Vital News
November 1, 2022
in Judiciary
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Abuja – The Court of Appeal, Abuja, has in a unanimous judgement discharged and acquitted Major Akeem Aderogba Oseni (N/12127) of the charge of manslaughter.

The judgment was delivered on Monday, October 31, 2022.

The landmark appeal was filed and argued by Chief Mike Ozekhome against the charge of manslaughter punishable under sections 105(A) of the Armed Forces Act, CAP A20, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, in appeal NO:CA/ABJ/CR/764/2021, with charge no AHQGAR/GI/ 300/47.

The Appeal Court agreed with the argument of Ozekhome, that the Nigerian Army did not prove the offence of manslaughter against the Major.

The court wondered why Major Oseni would be convicted alone of the same charge having the same ingredients with the charge on which his co-accused had all been discharged and acquitted.

RelatedStories

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

Court Nullifies PDP National Convention, Sacks Turaki, Other NWC Members

Three Sentenced To Death For Kidnapping, Rape, Armed Robbery In Ilorin

Ekelekamchukwu Ngwadom, Nigerian Traditional Ruler, Convicted, Sentenced, For $70,000 Medicaid Fraud In US

Recall that on 23rd February, 2017, Maj Gen IM Obot (rtd), COS (Chief of Staff) AHQ Garrison had summoned Major Akeem Aderogba Oseni (N/12127) ( the Appellant), who was the Acting Commanding Officer AHQ GARRISON ST (Supply & Transport) (Field Officer for the week), to his office.

On getting there, he met Lt Col A Usman (N/10518), Commanding Officer, Admin Battalion, AHQ GAR, and Capt S Aruwa , Ag Officer in Charge AHQ Garrison Military Police

The COS told him and other officers that the Ag OC MP, had just reported an attempted jail break by Lcpl Benjamin Collins (deceased).

He therefore directed Major Oseni (N/12127) and other officers to take out the soldier, drill and relocate him to a separate detention facility within the Cantonment.

Aderogba and other officers in obedience to this lawful order, left his office, and jointly identified a new cell in the Admin cell blocks.

Thereafter, the CO Admin Battalion, instructed Ag Officer in Charge Military Police to handover the soldier to him for drill. Aderogba told his CO Admin that he would frog – jump, forward-roll and counsel the soldier.

The CO (Commanding Officer) nodded his head in affirmation. Major Aderogba then went to the detention facility in company of two other officers (Maj OU Osawe (N/12004), and Capt S Amosu (N/13041), both of AHQ Garrison.

Then, the Ag OC MP,handed over the soldier to Aderogba; and he drove him to the training shed where 2Lt Dogary (N/16390) was waiting to drill him.

Aderogba then handed the same order he had been given to drill the soldier, to his junior, 2Lt Dogary, while he sat there with Maj Osawe to supervise the drill.

Within few minutes of the drilling, Major Oseni counselled the soldier, and invited the CO Admin, who also admonished the soldier and ordered his return to the earlier identified facility; and he immediately complied.

Major Aderogba, during his routine checks as the field officer, was later informed that the deceased soldier had been struggling with his leg cuffs.

On seeing his condition, he summoned the Ag OC MP, who was in charge of the detention facility, and they both drove the soldier to Defence HQ Medical Centre,where he was confirmed dead shortly after their arrival.

Major Oseni was court-martialled by the military authorities along with Maj Osawe, Capt Amosu and 2Lt Dogary, on a lone count of manslaughter in Charge No AHQGAR/GI/300/47 between Major A.A Oseni & 3 others v. Nigerian Army, dated 9th August, 2018, in a General Court Martial, (GCM), which sat at Command Officers’ Mess, Asokoro, Abuja, coram: Brigadier General G.A Umelo (N/9052)– President and Major D.O Ehicheoya (N11502)- Judge Advocate.

Judgment was delivered on 7th February, 2020, sentencing Major Aderogba to ten years imprisonment.

The sentence was confirmed on 24th November, 2020, by the Army Council.

Capt Amosu, Aderogba’s co-accused was acquitted at the point of sentence on 7th February, 2020.

The other two officers who were also jointly charged with him were discharged and acquitted during confirmation by the Army Council, on 24th November, 2020.

Dissatisfied with the said judgment/findings and the confirmation of his sentence by the confirming authority, Major Aderogba, briefed Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN.

By a notice of appeal dated 28th January, 2021 and filed on 11th October, 2021, by leave of the Court of Appeal granted on 28th September, 2021, Ozekhome filed six (6) grounds of appeal on behalf of Major Aderogba.

Ozekhome argued the appeal on 19th September, 2022, before the Court of Appeal, Abuja division, in a three-man panel presided over Hon. Justice Stephen Jonah Adah (Presiding Justice), Hon. Justice Mohammed Mustapha and Hon. Justice Bature Isa Gafai (as members); wherein judgment was reserved.

The Court of Appeal in a unanimous judgement on Monday, 31st October, 2022, discharged and acquitted Major Akeem Aderogba Oseni (N/12127), of the charge of manslaughter punishable under sections 105(a) of the Armed Forces Act, CAP A20, LFN, 2004.

The court further agreed with Ozekhome that Major Aderogba was not found to have been reckless in the manner he handled the deceased soldier on his superior’s instructions, which he merely carried out.

From evidence available to the lower court by which was not properly evaluated, Major Aderogba did not intend to cause grievous bodily harm to the deceased as erroneously held by the trial court.

Tags: appealArmyCourtMajor
Previous Post

NDLEA Declares Lagos Drug Baron, Kazeem Wanted, Seals 7 Mansions Linked To Him

Next Post

RMAFC Begins Consultations On Salary Review

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi
Judiciary

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

February 21, 2026
Former Minister, Tanimu Turaki, Emerges Northern PDP Consensus Candidate As National Chairman
Judiciary

Court Nullifies PDP National Convention, Sacks Turaki, Other NWC Members

January 30, 2026
Three Sentenced To Death For Kidnapping, Rape, Armed Robbery  In Ilorin
Judiciary

Three Sentenced To Death For Kidnapping, Rape, Armed Robbery In Ilorin

January 27, 2026
Ekelekamchukwu Ngwadom, Nigerian Traditional Ruler, Convicted, Sentenced, For $70,000 Medicaid Fraud In US
Crime

Ekelekamchukwu Ngwadom, Nigerian Traditional Ruler, Convicted, Sentenced, For $70,000 Medicaid Fraud In US

January 22, 2026
Kwara Court Jails Illegal Miner Five Years
Judiciary

Kwara Court Jails Illegal Miner Five Years

January 21, 2026
Next Post

RMAFC Begins Consultations On Salary Review

INEC To Track Campaign Finances – Official

Benue Govt. Announces Free Breast Cancer Screening, Treatment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

Christmas : Former Governor Yahaya Bello Urges Reflection, Faith, National Hope

Christmas : Former Governor Yahaya Bello Urges Reflection, Faith, National Hope

2 months ago

11 Women Die In 4,860 Sexual, Domestic Violence Cases In Lagos

3 years ago
FG urged To Be Proactive In Tackling Insecurity, Committee Urges FG

FG urged To Be Proactive In Tackling Insecurity, Committee Urges FG

5 months ago
ADF Rice Palliative : Governor Okpebholo Flags Off Distribution Of 13,000 Bags Of Rice In Edo, Urges Wealthy Nigerians To Emulate Dangote

ADF Rice Palliative : Governor Okpebholo Flags Off Distribution Of 13,000 Bags Of Rice In Edo, Urges Wealthy Nigerians To Emulate Dangote

9 months ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security students Tinubu troops US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Ramadan, Lent : Abiodun Salutes Muslim, Christian Faithful, Seeks Prayers For Nigeria, Leaders

Trending

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying
Politics

TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act

by Vital News
February 21, 2026
0

The Tinubu Media Support Group (TMSG) has endorsed President Bola Tinubu's swift assent to the Electoral Act...

Gov. Abiodun Appoints Nine Permanent Secretaries, New Principals-General, Headteachers-General

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

February 21, 2026
Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

February 21, 2026
Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

February 20, 2026
Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

February 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act February 21, 2026
  • Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process February 21, 2026
  • Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore February 21, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In