• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home Crime

N480bln Ogun Meth Lab : NDLEA Opposes Bail For 3 Mexicans, 7 Nigerians, Court To Rule Sept. 2

Vital News by Vital News
August 21, 2026
in Crime, Judiciary
0
N480bln Ogun Meth Lab : NDLEA Opposes Bail For 3 Mexicans, 7 Nigerians, Court To Rule Sept. 2
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has opposed the bail applications filed by 10 defendants standing trial over the alleged operation of a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory in a forest in Ogun State, describing them as flight risks who could evade trial if released.

Justice Akintayo Aluko of the Federal High Court in Lagos, after hearing arguments from both sides, adjourned until September 2, 2026, ruling on the defendants’ bail applications.

The defendants are Anochili Innocent, Juan Carlos Meza Torrero, Nemecio Martinez Felix, Jesus Lopez Valles, Nwankwo Sunday Christian, Egwuonwu Uchenna Victor, Igwe Abuchi Remijus, Ifeanyichukwu Chibuike Joshua, Omonughwa Kingsley Orike and Emeka Nwobum.

They are being prosecuted by the NDLEA over their alleged involvement in the production and trafficking of methamphetamine at a clandestine laboratory located at Iloti Village, in the Ijebu East Local Government Area of Ogun State.

The prosecution had earlier filed an 11-count charge against the defendants in suit No. FHC/CR/430/2026 before Justice Musa Kakaki of the Federal High Court, Lagos.

RelatedStories

President Tinubu Orders Arrest Of George Nwabueze Over Discovery Of Another Fake Agency, Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries

US-INL Commends NDLEA’s Operational Successes, Assures Of More Support

NAPTIP Seals Port Harcourt Maternity Over Alleged Sale Of Three Children To Liberian Woman At ₦13.5mln

One Person Killed In Shooting Incident Involving Governor Adeleke, Davido, Police Vow To Arrest Culprits

The charge centres on the alleged production and possession of 2,419.48 kilogrammes of methamphetamine, a controlled psychotropic substance, as well as the alleged acquisition, transportation and possession of precursor chemicals used in the production of the illicit drug.

At the resumed proceedings on the bail application, counsel to the defendants, Chief Benson Ndakara, told Justice Aluko that he had approached the vacation court because of the urgency of the application, stressing that the matter concerned the liberty and fundamental rights of the defendants, who are currently being held in custody.

Ndakara said the prosecution had been served with the bail application and had filed its response.

In the affidavit supporting the application, the defendants argued that their continued detention was unjustified, particularly in the case of the first defendant, who they said was not found in possession of any hard drug.

They also maintained that they were presumed innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.

The defendants further argued that the alleged offences were bailable and expressed their readiness to provide reliable sureties and comply with any conditions that might be imposed by the court.

They also raised concerns about the health of some of the defendants, claiming that their conditions required special medical attention that warranted their release on bail.

Opposing the application, NDLEA counsel, Barrister Buhari Abdullahi, urged Justice Aluko to reject the request, arguing that there was no exceptional urgency warranting the defendants’ resort to the vacation court.

Abdullahi said the substantive criminal proceedings were already before Justice Musa Kakaki, where the defendants had been arraigned, pleas taken and an order made for an accelerated trial.

He further informed the court that the prosecution had already called its first witness, who had testified in the case.

The NDLEA lawyer, relying on the agency’s counter-affidavit, argued that the defendants constituted flight risks and that granting them bail could frustrate the trial.

According to him, some of the defendants are foreign nationals and could leave Nigeria if released.

Abdullahi told the court that three of the defendants are Mexican nationals, while the first defendant, whom the prosecution described as the alleged financier and organiser of the syndicate, holds dual Nigerian and Mexican citizenship.

He argued that the international composition of the defendants heightened the risk of them fleeing the country to avoid prosecution.

On the health concerns raised by the defendants, the NDLEA counsel said the applicants had not established that their medical conditions were so serious that they could not be managed by the medical facilities available at the correctional centre.

He urged the court to disregard the health argument as a basis for granting bail.

The prosecutor also challenged the defendants’ claim that they intended to use the property where the clandestine laboratory was discovered for legitimate businesses, including poultry farming, piggery and alcoholic wine production.

According to Abdullahi, investigations by the agency established that the clandestine laboratory at Iloti Village was owned, financed and sponsored by the first defendant and had been specifically established and equipped for the illicit production of methamphetamine.

He said various equipment, apparatus, chemicals and materials allegedly associated with the production of controlled substances were recovered from the facility.

Among the substances allegedly recovered, he said, was Phenyl-2-Propanone (P2P), described by the prosecution as a major precursor agent for the production of methamphetamine.

The prosecution said it would rely on physical, documentary, forensic and laboratory evidence during the trial to establish its allegations against the defendants.

Earlier, in the substantive charge, the NDLEA alleged that the defendants were members of an organised network involved in the illicit production and trafficking of methamphetamine, as well as the acquisition and transportation of precursor chemicals required for its manufacture.

The prosecution said the 10 defendants comprised three Mexican nationals and seven Nigerians, describing the composition of the group as evidence of the alleged international and transnational character of the criminal enterprise.

The NDLEA also alleged that precursor chemicals, including toluene, P2P, phenylacetic acid, acetone and hydrochloric acid, were transported from Lagos to the forest laboratory in Ogun State.

The chemicals were allegedly conveyed using a Toyota Tacoma, a Mercedes-Benz with registration number APP 942 YL and a Toyota Highlander with registration number GWA 662 DJ.

The prosecution further alleged that the defendants unlawfully possessed substantial quantities of precursor chemicals intended for the manufacture of methamphetamine, including 358 kilogrammes of toluene, 1,834 kilogrammes of hydrochloric acid and 22.5 kilogrammes of acetone, alongside unspecified quantities of P2P and phenylacetic acid.

The first defendant, Anochili, was also accused of owning and operating the fenced property in Mowe Forest where the clandestine laboratory was allegedly located.

The NDLEA alleged that he knew the property was being used for the illegal production of methamphetamine.

The charges were brought under Sections 11(a), 12, 14(b), 19, 20(1)(e) and 20(1)(g) of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency Act, Cap N30, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, with the offences punishable under Section 20(2)(a) of the Act.

The defendants have denied the allegations and are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

After listening to the arguments of counsel, Justice Aluko adjourned ruling on the bail applications until September 2, 2026.

Source – Security Monitor
(vitalnewsngr.com)
(vitalnewsngr.com)

Tags: CourtforestNDLEAOgun
Previous Post

US-INL Commends NDLEA’s Operational Successes, Assures Of More Support

Next Post

Commit More Resources To Research, Innovations Capable Of Addressing Nigeria’s Challenges, Governor Ododo Tells TETFUND

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

President Tinubu Orders Arrest Of George Nwabueze Over Discovery Of Another Fake Agency, Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries
Crime

President Tinubu Orders Arrest Of George Nwabueze Over Discovery Of Another Fake Agency, Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries

August 21, 2026
US-INL Commends NDLEA’s Operational Successes, Assures Of More Support
Crime

US-INL Commends NDLEA’s Operational Successes, Assures Of More Support

August 21, 2026
NAPTIP Seals Port Harcourt Maternity Over Alleged Sale Of Three Children To Liberian Woman At ₦13.5mln
Crime

NAPTIP Seals Port Harcourt Maternity Over Alleged Sale Of Three Children To Liberian Woman At ₦13.5mln

August 20, 2026
One Person Killed In Shooting Incident Involving Governor Adeleke, Davido, Police Vow To Arrest Culprits
Crime

One Person Killed In Shooting Incident Involving Governor Adeleke, Davido, Police Vow To Arrest Culprits

August 19, 2026
NDLEA Dismantles International Cocaine Trafficking Cartel, Seizes 184.50kg Cocaine Worth N39billion, Arrests Celebrity Kingpin, “KC Luxury”
Crime

NDLEA Dismantles International Cocaine Trafficking Cartel, Seizes 184.50kg Cocaine Worth N39billion, Arrests Celebrity Kingpin, “KC Luxury”

August 18, 2026
Next Post
Commit More Resources To Research, Innovations Capable Of Addressing Nigeria’s Challenges, Governor Ododo Tells TETFUND

Commit More Resources To Research, Innovations Capable Of Addressing Nigeria's Challenges, Governor Ododo Tells TETFUND

Zulum Says FG, Borno Intensifying Efforts To Rescue 44 Pupils Abducted From Askira-Uba LG Primary School Since May 15

Zulum Says FG, Borno Intensifying Efforts To Rescue 44 Pupils Abducted From Askira-Uba LG Primary School Since May 15

President Tinubu Orders Arrest Of George Nwabueze Over Discovery Of Another Fake Agency, Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries

President Tinubu Orders Arrest Of George Nwabueze Over Discovery Of Another Fake Agency, Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

Professional misconduct : Tribunal bans doctor from practice for six months

4 years ago
May 29 : Ododo Lauds President Tinubu’s Courage, Resilience, Inspiring Leadership

May 29 : Ododo Lauds President Tinubu’s Courage, Resilience, Inspiring Leadership

1 year ago

INEC says Electronic Transmission Of Election Results Has Come To Stay

4 years ago
Gunmen kill 3 Policemen At Checkpoint In Edo

Troops Kill Kaduna Notorious Bandit Leader, Danwasa

3 years ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Housing
  • ICT
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drug drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security Senate students Tinubu US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

Your Skin Is Your First Defense : 15 Minutes Of Sun Daily Can Prevent Disease, Says Prof. Joseph Ngbea

Tragedy As APC Chairman Slumps, Dies In Kogi During Reconciliation Meeting

Safe Driving : Dangote Transport Unveils Novel Real-Time Driver Monitoring Control Room

Eid -el – Mawlud : FG Declares August 25 Public Holiday, Charges Nigerians On Peace, Unity

President Tinubu Orders Arrest Of George Nwabueze Over Discovery Of Another Fake Agency, Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries

Zulum Says FG, Borno Intensifying Efforts To Rescue 44 Pupils Abducted From Askira-Uba LG Primary School Since May 15

Trending

Four Family Members, Dog Die Of Suspected Food Poisoning In Kogi, Governor Ododo Orders Immediate Investigation Into Deaths
Health

Four Family Members, Dog Die Of Suspected Food Poisoning In Kogi, Governor Ododo Orders Immediate Investigation Into Deaths

by Vital News
August 22, 2026
0

Four members of the same family have suddenly lost their lives in Ihima, Okehi Local Government Area...

Yari Thanks President Tinubu As He accepts Appointment As APC-PCC DG

Yari Thanks President Tinubu As He accepts Appointment As APC-PCC DG

August 22, 2026
2027 : Tinubu Constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, Names Self Chairman, Appoints Yari DG, Uzodinma Secretary

2027 : Tinubu Constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, Names Self Chairman, Appoints Yari DG, Uzodinma Secretary

August 22, 2026
Your Skin Is Your First Defense : 15 Minutes Of Sun Daily Can Prevent Disease, Says Prof. Joseph Ngbea

Your Skin Is Your First Defense : 15 Minutes Of Sun Daily Can Prevent Disease, Says Prof. Joseph Ngbea

August 22, 2026
Tragedy As APC Chairman Slumps, Dies In Kogi During Reconciliation Meeting

Tragedy As APC Chairman Slumps, Dies In Kogi During Reconciliation Meeting

August 22, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • Four Family Members, Dog Die Of Suspected Food Poisoning In Kogi, Governor Ododo Orders Immediate Investigation Into Deaths August 22, 2026
  • Yari Thanks President Tinubu As He accepts Appointment As APC-PCC DG August 22, 2026
  • 2027 : Tinubu Constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, Names Self Chairman, Appoints Yari DG, Uzodinma Secretary August 22, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Housing
  • ICT
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In