• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home Crime

Kidnapping At Edo Train Station Plotted By 8 People For N20mln Ransom – Police

Vital News by Vital News
January 23, 2023
in Crime
0
Kidnapping At Edo Train Station Plotted By 8 People For N20mln Ransom – Police
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Police have alleged that the eight suspects arrested over the abduction of 20 people at Igueben train station in Edo State plotted the kidnapping in the hope of receiving a ransom of N20 million to free their hostages.

The Police said this in the two count-charge filed against the eight suspects.

In the charges, the police said the suspects contravened Section 5 and punishable under Section 2 (1) (2) of the Kidnapping Prohibition (Amendment) Law of Edo State, 2013.

A copy of pleadings signed by Barr. I. E. Ekibade on behalf of the legal section of the Edo State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID), and made available in Benin, indicated that eight suspects are in police custody.

The suspects, all males, according to the charges, conspired within themselves to “commit felony by wit.”

RelatedStories

​NDLEA Bust Nigerian-Mexican Drug Cartel, Recovers N480billion Meth In Ogun, Arrests Baron, 3 Mexicans, 6 Others

EFCC Arrests Fleeing Former Minister Of Power, Saleh Mamman Over N33.8bn Fraud Conviction

NHRC Worries As Nigeria Records 266,787 Rights Violation Complaints In One Month

EU, UNODC, ECOWAS Express Support For Nigeria’s 2026/2030 Drug Control Plan, Commend NDLEA’s Commitment, Successes

Police alleged that the eight suspects identified as Odion, 62, Ewa, 58, Patrick, 42, Ighedujiemu, 51, Hamilton, 59, Umaru, 28, Ibrahim, 25, and Aliyu, 25, conspired to kidnap the victims with the expectation of getting N20 million from their relatives as ransom for their freedom.

Edo police spokesperson, SP Chidi Nwabuzor said this in a statement on Sunday.

He, however, said the trial of the suspects of has not begun contrary to some speculations and reports.

According to Nwabuzor, “Exparte Order, it’s an order of court that enables the Police investigators to extend the detention of a suspect(s) for a period of 14 days to enable them to meet with exegesis.

The state Commissioner of police who is the complainant in the case, filed and prayed the court to serve justice to the eight suspects because they have committed an offence punishable under the Kidnapping Prohibition (Amendment) Law of the state.”

Edo State Government had last week announced the arrest of seven suspects, including two traditional rulers in connection with the attack on Igueben-Ekehen train station.

Six gunmen had stormed the train station at about 4 pm on Saturday, 8 January 2023 and abducted 20 people, including workers in the station and passengers waiting to board train to Udu, in Delta state.

Several other persons also sustained gunshot injuries during the attack.

However, all the victims of the attack have been rescued.

Edo Governor, Godwin Obaseki, had on Sunday, 15 January, 2023, accused some traditional rulers in the locality of allegedly flouting the state government’s anti-grazing law which forbade anybody from giving lands to herdsmen to graze.

Obaseki who was visiting 12 rescued victims being treated at the Police Cottage Hospital in GRA, Benin City, disclosed that the state government will go after traditional rulers who gave out grazing land to undesirable elements in their community without checking their background.

However, Edo Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Chris Nehikhare, announced the arrest of the suspects in a press briefing last Wednesday.

Nehikhare who did not give the names the of suspects disclosed that the two traditional rulers are in the Igueben local government area, where the incident happened.

He also announced that the two remaining victims of the train station attack have been successfully rescued by security operatives.

Nehikhare while announcing the rescue of the victims, added that no more victims are in the clutches of their abductors.

“I am happy to inform you all the remaining victims of the Igueben train station attack have been rescued.

“As at today, none of the victims are in the hand of the abductors,” he said.

Tags: kidnapPoliceransomtrain
Previous Post

Lassa Fever : Edo, Ondo, Bauchi Account For 84pct Cases — NCDC

Next Post

Buhari Unveils $1.5 billion Lekki Deep Sea Port, Largest In Sub-Saharan Africa

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

​NDLEA Bust Nigerian-Mexican Drug  Cartel, Recovers N480billion Meth In Ogun, Arrests Baron, 3 Mexicans, 6 Others
Crime

​NDLEA Bust Nigerian-Mexican Drug Cartel, Recovers N480billion Meth In Ogun, Arrests Baron, 3 Mexicans, 6 Others

May 20, 2026
EFCC Arrests Fleeing Former Minister Of Power, Saleh Mamman Over N33.8bn Fraud Conviction
Crime

EFCC Arrests Fleeing Former Minister Of Power, Saleh Mamman Over N33.8bn Fraud Conviction

May 19, 2026
Rights Commission  Demands End To Killings, Urges FG To Prosecute Perpetrators
Crime

NHRC Worries As Nigeria Records 266,787 Rights Violation Complaints In One Month

May 18, 2026
EU, UNODC, ECOWAS Express Support For Nigeria’s 2026/2030 Drug Control Plan, Commend NDLEA’s Commitment, Successes
Crime

EU, UNODC, ECOWAS Express Support For Nigeria’s 2026/2030 Drug Control Plan, Commend NDLEA’s Commitment, Successes

May 18, 2026
EFCC Moves Against Growing Use Of Dollars In Local Transactions, Illegal Mining
Crime

EFCC Targets N123bln Cash Recovery From Six Ex-Ministers, Malami, Ngige, Sirika, Sylva, Mamman, Sadiya Umar-Farouq

May 18, 2026
Next Post
Buhari Unveils $1.5 billion Lekki Deep Sea Port, Largest In Sub-Saharan Africa

Buhari Unveils $1.5 billion Lekki Deep Sea Port, Largest In Sub-Saharan Africa

Gunmen Behead Imo LG Chairman After Collecting N6mln Ransom

Gunmen Behead Imo LG Chairman After Collecting N6mln Ransom

Mammoth Crowd Receives Buhari, Tinubu At Bauchi APC Rally

Mammoth Crowd Receives Buhari, Tinubu At Bauchi APC Rally

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

Ogun Begins Allocation Of Housing Units To Subscribers July 1

Ogun Begins Allocation Of Housing Units To Subscribers July 1

2 years ago

Eid-el-Maulud : FG declares Wednesday, September 27 Public Holiday

3 years ago
FAAC Shares N2.22 trillion August 2025 Revenue Among Federal, States, Local Governments

FAAC Shares N2.22 trillion August 2025 Revenue Among Federal, States, Local Governments

8 months ago

Catholic Bishop of Lokoja Reverses Ordination Of Four Deacons Over Forgery

2 years ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security Senate students Tinubu US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing

APC Disqualifies Ex-Minister Of Power, Adebayo Adelabu From Participating In Governorship Primary

​NDLEA Bust Nigerian-Mexican Drug Cartel, Recovers N480billion Meth In Ogun, Arrests Baron, 3 Mexicans, 6 Others

Ahead Of Olokola Deep Seaport Project Takeoff, Ogun/Ondo Host Communities Give Dangote Nod To Commence Work

Ahead APC Primary, AbdulRazaq Endorses Yahaya Seriki As Preferred Successor As Kwara Next Governor

Appeal Court Fixes Hearing In UI–ISI Hijab Suit For May 21

Trending

Dangote Cement Gboko Rolls Out Multi-Million Naira Empowerment Programmes In Six Benue Host Communities
Business

Dangote Cement Gboko Rolls Out Multi-Million Naira Empowerment Programmes In Six Benue Host Communities

by Vital News
May 20, 2026
0

Amid celebration and jubilation, Dangote Cement Plc on Wednesday flagged off three multi-million-naira empowerment programmes for farmers,...

Fubara Announces Withdrawal From Rivers State APC Governorship Primary

Fubara Announces Withdrawal From Rivers State APC Governorship Primary

May 20, 2026
Abiodun Commends Peaceful Conduct Of APC Assembly Primaries Across Ogun

Abiodun Commends Peaceful Conduct Of APC Assembly Primaries Across Ogun

May 20, 2026
Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing

Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing

May 20, 2026
APC Disqualifies Ex-Minister Of Power, Adebayo Adelabu From Participating In Governorship Primary

APC Disqualifies Ex-Minister Of Power, Adebayo Adelabu From Participating In Governorship Primary

May 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • Dangote Cement Gboko Rolls Out Multi-Million Naira Empowerment Programmes In Six Benue Host Communities May 20, 2026
  • Fubara Announces Withdrawal From Rivers State APC Governorship Primary May 20, 2026
  • Abiodun Commends Peaceful Conduct Of APC Assembly Primaries Across Ogun May 20, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In