• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home Foreign

Israeli Strike On Gaza Kills 4 Al Jazeera Journalists

Vital News by Vital News
August 11, 2025
in Foreign, News
0
Israeli Strike On Gaza Kills 4 Al Jazeera Journalists
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Ephrat Livni

An Israeli strike near a hospital in Gaza City on Sunday night killed four Al Jazeera journalists, the network said, and Gazan health officials reported at least one additional fatality.

The Israeli military confirmed that it had conducted a strike targeting one of the men killed, whom it accused of being a Hamas fighter posing as a reporter, an allegation that he and the network had rejected.

The Government Media Office in Gaza, which is run by Hamas, said in a statement that a strike on a “journalists’ tent near Al-Shifa Hospital” killed two reporters — Anas al-Sharif and Mohammed Qraiqeh — and three photographers — Ibrahim Zaher, Moamen Aliwa and Mohammed Noufal — and called the attack “deliberate and premeditated.”

The director of Al Shifa hospital, Dr. Mohammed Abu Salmiya, told The New York Times that an Israeli drone strike on a tent in front of Al Shifa hospital in Gaza City, which was housing journalists, killed seven people, including five journalists and two others, and wounded eight.

RelatedStories

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

7 Die In Ota Toll Gate Accident, Abiodun Condemns Reckless Driving, Orders Probe Into Tragedy

Ogun Clears Eight-Year Pension, Gratuity Backlog Of Retirees — Finance Commissioner

Al Jazeera reported that four of the five journalists who were killed in the strike worked for its network.

In a statement, the network condemned what it called “the premeditated assassination” of correspondents and photographers, calling the attack “a desperate attempt to silence voices in anticipation of the occupation of Gaza.”

The Israeli military in a statement on Sunday said that it had struck in Gaza City without specifying where, and said that it had targeted “the terrorist Anas al-Sharif, who posed as a journalist for the Al Jazeera network,” and had taken steps “to mitigate harm to civilians.”

The military accused Mr. al-Sharif of being “the head of a terrorist cell” that was “responsible for advancing rocket attacks against Israeli civilians” and soldiers.

The Israeli statement said that it had previously “disclosed intelligence information and many documents found in the Gaza Strip, confirming his military affiliation to Hamas.”

The Committee to Protect Journalists said last month that it was “gravely worried” about his safety.Credit…AFPTV, via Agence France-Presse

Mr. al-Sharif, a well-known correspondent for Al Jazeera, was among six of the network’s reporters based in Gaza whom Israel accused in October 2024 of being fighters for Hamas and Palestinian Jihad.

At the time, the Israel military distributed what it said were documents seized from Gaza that showed membership lists, phone directories and salary slips for members of the Qassam Brigades and the Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wings of the two groups.

The lists included names matching those reporters.

But Al Jazeera and Mr. al-Sharif denied the accusation, with the network saying the allegations were “fabricated.”

Last month, the Committee to Protect Journalists said it was “gravely worried” about Mr. al-Sharif’s safety, accusing the Israeli military of targeting him with a “smear campaign, which he believes is a precursor to his assassination.”

The organization said that the Israeli military had “stepped up” its campaign to discredit Mr. al-Sharif “since the journalist cried on air while reporting on starvation in Gaza.”

Israel has long had an antagonistic relationship with Al Jazeera, the Qatar-based broadcaster, and the tensions have only escalated during the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.

While other major media outlets have been blocked from entering the enclave by Israel and Egypt, Al Jazeera has managed to position numerous reporters on the ground, providing a steady stream of stories about the harrowing conditions for civilians amid mass privation and hunger.

More than 61,000 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since the war began, according to local health officials who do not distinguish between civilians and combatants.

Al Jazeera has accused Israel of trying to conceal the brutality of the war. Israel says that the outlet supports Hamas and that some of its journalists are themselves militants, an allegation the broadcaster has strongly rejected.

Israeli officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, have long called the network a “mouthpiece” for Hamas.

Last year, Israel shut down Al Jazeera in the country and shuttered its offices on security grounds, and Israeli forces later raided the channel’s offices in the West Bank.

The Israeli military last summer killed Ismail al-Ghoul, an Al Jazeera reporter in Gaza, in an airstrike that also took the life of another reporter.

The Israeli military claimed Mr. al-Ghoul was a member of Hamas’s military wing.

Mr. al-Sharif was posting on social media until shortly before he died.

“Relentless bombardment,” he wrote on X in what would be one of his final messages.

“For two hours, the Israeli aggression has intensified on Gaza City.”

The strike on Mr. al-Sharif and the others in Gaza City came after Israel’s security cabinet on Friday voted to intensify its military operations in the area and to take over the city, where much of Gaza’s population has been sheltering after repeated displacement orders since the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas-led attack on Israel that killed about 1,200 people in Israel, led to the abduction of about 250 and set off the war in Gaza.

Foreign journalists have not been allowed to enter Gaza to report independently from the enclave, so most of the reporting emerging from the war has come from Palestinian reporters.

In recent weeks, as a hunger crisis has gripped Gaza, and reporters on the ground have talked about losing the strength to work, news organizations have called on Israel to let in more aid and reporters.

Mr. al-Sharif described himself as “drowning in hunger” late last month.
Source – New York Times
(vitalnewsngr.com)

Tags: gazaJournalistsKillstrike
Previous Post

Kogi RAAMP: Gov. Ododo To Flag Off 12.5km Unosi–Odonto–Ogigiri Rural Road In Ajaokuta

Next Post

Oyebanji Dissolves Ekiti Cabinet

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

Gov. Abiodun Appoints Nine Permanent Secretaries, New Principals-General, Headteachers-General
Culture

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

February 21, 2026
Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities
News

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

February 20, 2026
FRSC Confirms 10 Dead, 11 Injured In Crash On Lokoja – Obajana Road In Kogi
News

7 Die In Ota Toll Gate Accident, Abiodun Condemns Reckless Driving, Orders Probe Into Tragedy

February 17, 2026
Ogun Clears Eight-Year Pension, Gratuity Backlog Of Retirees  — Finance Commissioner
Labour

Ogun Clears Eight-Year Pension, Gratuity Backlog Of Retirees — Finance Commissioner

February 17, 2026
At Kaduna International Trade Fair, Dangote Group Spotlights Vision 2030
Business

At Kaduna International Trade Fair, Dangote Group Spotlights Vision 2030

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Oyebanji Dissolves Ekiti Cabinet

Oyebanji Dissolves Ekiti Cabinet

Ibom Airlines Identifies Female Passenger Involved In Uyo Airport Unruly Incident As Ms Comfort Emmanson, Hands Her Over To Police

NFF Expels 3SC FC From  Federation Cup

3SC New Coach, Akin Olowookere, Slumps, Dies Suddenly During Training Session

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

Kogi, Malaria Consortium Scale Up Efforts To Combat Malaria, Organise Training On Implementation Of SMC

Kogi, Malaria Consortium Scale Up Efforts To Combat Malaria, Organise Training On Implementation Of SMC

9 months ago
Kogi Secures $500mln Funding Support From World Bank To Improve Access To Education, Healthcare

Kogi Secures $500mln Funding Support From World Bank To Improve Access To Education, Healthcare

12 months ago
Dangote Cement Trains Ibese Host Community Leaders For Optimal Performance

Dangote Cement Trains Ibese Host Community Leaders For Optimal Performance

8 months ago
Niger Coup : Northern Senators Caution Against Military Action, Frown At Economic Sanctions

El-Rufai, Okotete, Umar Fail Senate Ministerial Screening , Akpabio Blames Security Checks

3 years ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security students Tinubu troops US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Ramadan, Lent : Abiodun Salutes Muslim, Christian Faithful, Seeks Prayers For Nigeria, Leaders

Trending

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying
Politics

TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act

by Vital News
February 21, 2026
0

The Tinubu Media Support Group (TMSG) has endorsed President Bola Tinubu's swift assent to the Electoral Act...

Gov. Abiodun Appoints Nine Permanent Secretaries, New Principals-General, Headteachers-General

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

February 21, 2026
Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

February 21, 2026
Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

February 20, 2026
Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

February 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act February 21, 2026
  • Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process February 21, 2026
  • Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore February 21, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In