• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home Judiciary

Unlawful Detention : Court Awards N1mln To Ex-JAMB Registrar, Ojerinde Against ICPC

Vital News by Vital News
June 27, 2023
in Judiciary
0
Sex Workers Drag Ondo Man To Court For Paying With Fake Alert
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

 

Abuja – A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, awarded a N1million fine against the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) for the unlawful detention of Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, former Registrar, Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a judgment, also awarded a N200,000 fine against the ICPC as Ojerinde’s cost of instituting the case.

Egwuatu held that though the rearrest of the ex-JAMB boss on Jan. 26 was legal and lawful based on the search warrant obtained from the chief judge of the court, the anti-graft commission ought to have obtained a detention warrant since Ojerinde would not be immediately arraigned.

He agreed with counsel to the commission, Ebenezer Shogunle, that the content of the search warrant specifically stated that Ojerinde, his daughter-in-law and his son, and whatever that was discovered in the premises to be searched should be brought to court.

RelatedStories

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

Court Nullifies PDP National Convention, Sacks Turaki, Other NWC Members

Three Sentenced To Death For Kidnapping, Rape, Armed Robbery In Ilorin

Ekelekamchukwu Ngwadom, Nigerian Traditional Ruler, Convicted, Sentenced, For $70,000 Medicaid Fraud In US

He also agreed that though there was a fresh charge against the professor and that the arraignment before a sister court was frustrated due to the court vacation and non-sitting of court at some points, including the refusal of Ojerinde’s daughter-in-law and son to be in court for arraignment, the judge held that detaining him without an order of detention for the period in custody was a breach of his fundamental rights.

Egwuatu said that it was uncontroverted that there was a pending charge against the applicant in suit number: FHC/ABJ/CR/119/2023, alleging multiple identities, conspiracy to sell and sale of already forfeited property to the Federal Government, multiple identity cards with different names against him, the judge held that Ojerinde “is presumed innocent until he has been proven guilty.”

As to his rights to dignity of person, the court held that the applicant had been unable to prove that his right to dignity of person was breached by the ICPC.

Egwuatu said he had not been able to show that he was either tortured or brought into forced slavery, among others.

Consequently, the judge, who declared that Ojerinde is presumed innocent until the court decides, said that his continued detention was unlawful, illegal and a breach of his right to liberty.

He, therefore, ordered that the embattled former JAMB registrar should be released or arraigned immediately.

Egwuatu, who ordered the ICPC to pay the sum of N1 million as damages for breach of his fundamental right to liberty, directed the commission to pay him N200, 000 as cost of the suit.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Ojerinde, in the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/179/2023 filed before Justice Egwuatu, had sought an order to enforce his fundamental rights, following his re-arrest on Jan. 26 within the court premises and his subsequent detention.

He, therefore, sought an order of perpetual injunction restraining the commission and its officers from arresting or detaining him on account of the petition in respect of which he was currently facing a criminal charge or for the purpose of filing an amended charge as the case may be.

He also sought an order directing the commission to pay him the sum of N500 million only, being exemplary damages for the breach of his rights to personal liberty, freedom of movement, the dignity of the human person and presumption of innocence as enshrined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).

He further sought an order against the anti-graft agency for the sum of N100 million only the cost of instituting the action.

The former JAMB boss, in the suit, also sought an order for general damages against the ICPC as may be assessed by the court.

Besides, he sought an order against the commission for the post-judgment interest of 10 per cent per annum on the judgment sum calculated from the date of delivery of the judgment.

NAN reports that ICPC had accused the ex-JAMB boss of diverting public funds to the tune of N5 billion and was dragged before Justice Egwuatu on the 18-count money-laundering suit.

Ojerinde was however re-arrested on Jan. 26 by the operatives of the anti-graft commission while he was heading to his car with one of his sons after Justice Egwuatu adjourned further proceedings in the charge preferred against him.

ICPC lawyer had told the court that he was re-arrested on suspicion that he might have committed some other offences not unconnected with the present charges before the court.

He said for this reason, the commission “obtained a warrant of this honourable court dated 6th of Dec, 2022,” for the ex-JAMB registrar’s re-arrest.

Ojerinde, his three sons and a daughter-in-law are therefore facing separate charges before Justice Inyang Ekwo of a sister court.
(NAN/vitalnewsngr.com)

 

Tags: . UnlawfulCourtfuneICPC
Previous Post

Photo As Tinubu , Buhari Meet In London

Next Post

Eid – el- Kabir : Tinubu Urges Muslims To Multiply Good Deeds

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi
Judiciary

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

February 21, 2026
Former Minister, Tanimu Turaki, Emerges Northern PDP Consensus Candidate As National Chairman
Judiciary

Court Nullifies PDP National Convention, Sacks Turaki, Other NWC Members

January 30, 2026
Three Sentenced To Death For Kidnapping, Rape, Armed Robbery  In Ilorin
Judiciary

Three Sentenced To Death For Kidnapping, Rape, Armed Robbery In Ilorin

January 27, 2026
Ekelekamchukwu Ngwadom, Nigerian Traditional Ruler, Convicted, Sentenced, For $70,000 Medicaid Fraud In US
Crime

Ekelekamchukwu Ngwadom, Nigerian Traditional Ruler, Convicted, Sentenced, For $70,000 Medicaid Fraud In US

January 22, 2026
Kwara Court Jails Illegal Miner Five Years
Judiciary

Kwara Court Jails Illegal Miner Five Years

January 21, 2026
Next Post
Tinubu Appoints Dele Alake, Nuhu Ribadu, 6 Others Special Advisers

Eid - el- Kabir : Tinubu Urges Muslims To Multiply Good Deeds

Tinubu Congratulates Akpabio, Abbas , Says It is time for Business of Governance

Tinubu Back In Nigeria, Receives Tumultuous Welcome To Lagos

Bello Flags Off Reconstruction Of 13.71km Itakpe – Okene Road

Bello Flags Off Reconstruction Of 13.71km Itakpe - Okene Road

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

Former President Muhammadu Buhari Dies In London At 82

Former President Muhammadu Buhari For Burial In Daura Tuesday, July 15, Gov. Radda Announces

7 months ago
Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act

23 hours ago
NAHCON, Saudi Firm Sign Agreement On Hajj Services, Secure Discount

Bello Charges Kogi Intending Pilgrims To Be Of Good Conduct

3 years ago
ECOWAS Plans Standby Force To Counter Terrorists, Promises To Ease Sanctions On Niger Republic If …..

Stop Denigrating Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu To Clerics

2 years ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security students Tinubu troops US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Ramadan, Lent : Abiodun Salutes Muslim, Christian Faithful, Seeks Prayers For Nigeria, Leaders

Trending

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying
Politics

TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act

by Vital News
February 21, 2026
0

The Tinubu Media Support Group (TMSG) has endorsed President Bola Tinubu's swift assent to the Electoral Act...

Gov. Abiodun Appoints Nine Permanent Secretaries, New Principals-General, Headteachers-General

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

February 21, 2026
Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

February 21, 2026
Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

February 20, 2026
Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

February 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act February 21, 2026
  • Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process February 21, 2026
  • Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore February 21, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In