• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home National

Terrorists Demand N620mln For Release Of Kidnapped Edo Train Passengers

Vital News by Vital News
January 10, 2023
in National, News
0
Terrorists Demand N620mln For Release Of Kidnapped Edo Train Passengers
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Terrorists that abducted 31 Edo train passengers have demanded N620million ransom for their release.

It was gathered that they made the demand through phone contacts to the families of the victims.

The Executive Director, Esan Youth for Good Governance and Social Justice, Benson Odia, disclosed that the kidnappers were demanding N20million for each victim.

This was as the police anti-terrorism squad and the Nigerian Railway Corporation on Monday met to strategise on ways to rescue the train passengers.

Odia stated that the demand was absurd, calling on the authorities to intensify efforts in rescuing the 31 hostages in the custody of the kidnappers.

RelatedStories

No Plan To Change Nigeria’s Name, Abolish Sharia In North – Presidency

Dangote Cement Gboko Rolls Out Multi-Million Naira Empowerment Programmes In Six Benue Host Communities

Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing

NHRC Worries As Nigeria Records 266,787 Rights Violation Complaints In One Month

He also said that the Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo and the Managing Director, Nigeria Railway Corporation, Fidel Okhiria were at Igueben to assess the situation.

Odia said the authorities promised to deploy helicopters on Tuesday to locate where the victims were kept in the bush.

He said, “I can tell you that the kidnappers have demanded N20mln, totalling N620m. This is absurd and I don’t know where poor people will be able to raise that amount of money.’’

The Edo state police spokesman, Chidi Nwabuzor could not confirm the veracity of the claim.

However, the Edo State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Chris Nehikhare, disclosed that six victims had been rescued, adding that efforts were ongoing to rescue the remaining 26 victims.

The commissioner in a statement noted that Governor Godwin Obaseki had given directives that the criminals should be arrested.

He added that two wanted kidnappers who were not connected to the present case have been arrested and would also help the police in their investigation.

The statement read, “Following the directive from Governor Godwin Obaseki that the kidnappers that attacked the train in Igueben on Saturday be smoked out of their hiding and the persons abducted be rescued, we are happy to announce that six persons have been rescued.

“The six persons are: a 65-year-old man, a nursing mother and her baby, a six-year-old girl and two siblings; aged two and five years old.

“We commend the efforts of the rescue team in the bushes and their support staff that have been working tirelessly since the incident occurred to ensure the kidnapped passengers are rescued and reunited with their families.

“We are confident that the other victims will be rescued soon as the highly motivated security personnel are in high spirits and have doubled down on the hot chase of the kidnappers.’’

“As events unfold in the bushes, be assured that we will keep you posted and we crave the support of all stakeholders, particularly the media, to stay with the facts and avoid sensational reports that could further inflict emotional pain on the families and friends of the victims who are already in distress. Operation Bush Combing continues,” Nehikhare added.

Also, the NRC MD, in an interview with Channels TV on Monday, said the agency had got approval to acquire sophisticated security systems.

On whether lessons were learnt from the attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train, he stated, “We learned a lot from the last attack.

“We have improved our security by increasing the number of personnel; vigilantes,army, police, and some technology but
we are not there yet.

“We have to continue to improve and make sure that we get the required result.

“On Itakpe-Warri, we have engaged the local community to protect and also support the security architecture we have in place.

“So, I think we have improved but there is nothing that cannot be sabotaged with the will and determination of the saboteurs.”

Meanwhile, the Edo State Police Command said it has stepped up its ongoing operations to rescue the abductees.

The command’s spokesman, Nwabuzor, disclosed that the rescue operation was being carried out in a way that would not compromise the process.

He stated, “I can only tell you that six persons have been rescued so far. The Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Dankwara has assured citizens of Edo that efforts are on to apprehend the kidnappers and rescue other victims.’’

When asked if the gunmen had made contact with the families of the victims, he stated, “That falls under the other thing I should not mention because the criminals are also monitoring what is being said about the situation.’’

In a related development, the President of Igueben Area Customary Court, Mrs Precious Aigbonoga, was kidnapped on Monday morning in Ugoneki, while on her way to Court in the Igueben Local Government Area, Edo State.

Disclosing this in a statement, the Nigeria Bar Association Publicity Secretary, Festus Usiobaifo said the NBA was working closely with the Edo State Police Command to rescue her. (Punch)

Tags: Edokidnappassengerstrain
Previous Post

Customs Hike Imported Vehicle Duty, Agents Protest

Next Post

AMAA Founder, Peace Anyiam – Osigwe Is Dead

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

President Tinubu Moves To Grant Debt Relief To Domestic Airlines, Scrap Ticket Charges Amid Jet A1 Crisis
National

No Plan To Change Nigeria’s Name, Abolish Sharia In North – Presidency

May 21, 2026
Dangote Cement Gboko Rolls Out Multi-Million Naira Empowerment Programmes In Six Benue Host Communities
Business

Dangote Cement Gboko Rolls Out Multi-Million Naira Empowerment Programmes In Six Benue Host Communities

May 20, 2026
Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing
Foreign

Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing

May 20, 2026
Rights Commission  Demands End To Killings, Urges FG To Prosecute Perpetrators
Crime

NHRC Worries As Nigeria Records 266,787 Rights Violation Complaints In One Month

May 18, 2026
Army confirms Death Of Youth Corps Member During Gun Duel With Armed Robbers In Abuja
National

DHQ Says No Ambiguity In Identity Of Abu-Bilal Al-Minuki, Top Terrorist Commander Killed In Joint Operation

May 17, 2026
Next Post
AMAA Founder, Peace Anyiam – Osigwe Is Dead

AMAA Founder, Peace Anyiam - Osigwe Is Dead

2023 Hajj Expo Kicks Off In Saudi With Over 400 Exhibitors

2023 Hajj Expo Kicks Off In Saudi With Over 400 Exhibitors

Immigration Dismisses 4, Demotes 14 Over Corruption

Immigration Dismisses 4, Demotes 14 Over Corruption

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

Oil Production Rises 14.6pct To 1.41mb/d In November – NUPRC

NNPC To Drill First Oil Well In Nasarawa March 2023

3 years ago
Shell’s $5bln Bonga Deep Water Investment Shows Nigeria Remains Top Investment Destination In Oil And Gas – TDF

2025 Budget: TMSG Hails Record Investment In Education, Healthcare, Others

1 year ago
Ahmed, OGP Co-ordinator Bags Excellence Award, Pledges More Support For Women

Ahmed, OGP Co-ordinator Bags Excellence Award, Pledges More Support For Women

3 years ago
Ladi Adebutu Absent As FG Commences Criminal Prosecution Against Him For Vote Buying, Money Laundering

Alleged Vote Buying, Money Laundering : Ogun PDP Guber Candidate, Ladi Adebutu Docked

2 years ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security Senate students Tinubu US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

President Tinubu Appoints 39-year-old Prof. Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

Dangote Cement Gboko Rolls Out Multi-Million Naira Empowerment Programmes In Six Benue Host Communities

Fubara Announces Withdrawal From Rivers State APC Governorship Primary

Abiodun Commends Peaceful Conduct Of APC Assembly Primaries Across Ogun

Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing

APC Disqualifies Ex-Minister Of Power, Adebayo Adelabu From Participating In Governorship Primary

Trending

Senator Sarafadeen Alli Emerges Oyo APC Governorship Candidate
Politics

Senator Sarafadeen Alli Emerges Oyo APC Governorship Candidate

by Vital News
May 21, 2026
0

Senator Sarafadeen Abiodun Alli, has emerged as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in...

​NDLEA Bust Nigerian-Mexican Drug  Cartel, Recovers N480billion Meth In Ogun, Arrests Baron, 3 Mexicans, 6 Others

President Tinubu Commends Marwa, NDLEA Staff On Successful Bust Of Nigeria-Mexican Drug Ring, Seizure Of N480million Illicit Drug

May 21, 2026
President Tinubu Moves To Grant Debt Relief To Domestic Airlines, Scrap Ticket Charges Amid Jet A1 Crisis

No Plan To Change Nigeria’s Name, Abolish Sharia In North – Presidency

May 21, 2026
President Tinubu Departs Abuja On Three- Nation Tour Of France, Kenya, Rwanda May 2

President Tinubu Appoints 39-year-old Prof. Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

May 21, 2026
Dangote Cement Gboko Rolls Out Multi-Million Naira Empowerment Programmes In Six Benue Host Communities

Dangote Cement Gboko Rolls Out Multi-Million Naira Empowerment Programmes In Six Benue Host Communities

May 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • Senator Sarafadeen Alli Emerges Oyo APC Governorship Candidate May 21, 2026
  • President Tinubu Commends Marwa, NDLEA Staff On Successful Bust Of Nigeria-Mexican Drug Ring, Seizure Of N480million Illicit Drug May 21, 2026
  • No Plan To Change Nigeria’s Name, Abolish Sharia In North – Presidency May 21, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In