• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home Judiciary

Alleged N82 bln Fraud : Again, Court Fixes July 17 For Yahaya Bello’s Arraignment

.....Bello seeks transfer of case to Lokoja

Vital News by Vital News
June 27, 2024
in Judiciary
0
Alleged N82 bln Fraud : Again, Court Fixes July 17 For Yahaya Bello’s Arraignment
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has fixed July 17 for the arraignment of the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, on an alleged money laundering case instituted against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC).

At the resumed hearing on Thursday, the former governor’s lawyer, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, brought the court’s attention to an application before the Chief Judge for transfer of charge no: FHC/ABJ/CR/98/2024 to Federal High Court, Lokoja, pursuant to Section 45 of the Federal High Court Establishment Act.

He said the Prosecution had been notified and their opinion had been sought via a letter dated 14th June 2024 from the Chief Judge’s office.

The letter, addressed to EFCC Counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, was signed by the Special Assistant to the Chief Judge, Joshua Ibrahim AJI, Esq.

“You will find attached the copy of a letter by Counsel to the Defendant on the above subject matter, dated 10th June 2024.

RelatedStories

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

Court Nullifies PDP National Convention, Sacks Turaki, Other NWC Members

Three Sentenced To Death For Kidnapping, Rape, Armed Robbery In Ilorin

Ekelekamchukwu Ngwadom, Nigerian Traditional Ruler, Convicted, Sentenced, For $70,000 Medicaid Fraud In US

“I am directed by His Lordship, the Honourable, the Chief Judge, to forward the letter to you for your response within 6 (six) days of receipt,” the letter read in part.

The former governor was supposed to appear in court on June 13, the last adjourned date but for the EFCC counsels’ decision to seek adjournment to June 27, having indicated that the previous date would not be convenient.

Adedipe SAN reminded the court that his appearance at the last hearing was accidental and that this would be seen from the court’s records.

He said, “After the proceeding on that day, and we gave him the report of what happened in court, I was made to understand that a letter had been written on behalf of the defendant to the Honourable Chief Judge of the FHC requesting in substance that this matter be administratively transferred to the FHC Lokoja judicial division believed to have territorial jurisdiction.

In the EFCC’s charge, the offence was said to have been committed when the former Governor was Governor of Kogi State.

Adedipe said, “The letter was received and the office of the Honourable Chief Judge of FHC did write to the prosecution team through Mr Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, on 14th June 2024, notifying him that the Honourable Chief Judge of FHC had activated the administrative process to that request whereof it was directed that he should provide a response to the request of counsel made on behalf of the defendant.”

He said the issue was no longer in the hands of the bar but the bench.

“After the last case, a letter was written. This issue is no longer in the hands of the bar but the bench. If the honourable chief judge has taken an initiative, I need to give him the necessary respect.”

The Prosecution counsel, Kemi Pinheiro, disagreed, saying that the matter was for arraignment and that the former Governor’s counsel had, on June 13, undertaken to produce the defendant in court.

“The letter to the CJ doesn’t discharge the undertaken. It’s not a judicial decision,” he said.

“Since no reason has been offered by Adeola. Your lordship should treat this as professional misconduct and contempt of court,” the EFCC lawyer urged.

In his response, Adeola said he had already told the court that his appearance on June 13 was accidental.

“I only appeared in the matter that day when I noticed the senior advocate was in court contrary to the prior agreement.

“Because Mr Pinheiro sent a letter to Mr Wahab, the lead counsel for the defendant, saying that the set date won’t be convenient and it was decided that junior lawyers will be sent to court to take dates,” he argued.

But Pinheiro argued that since the defendant had not been produced despite the undertaking of two senior advocates of Nigeria, he would be moving an application of contempt against them.

Adeola, SAN cut in, saying that the EFCC counsels were trying to trade blames where none existed, and indicated his interest in withdrawing from the case, considering the posture of the EFCC counsels on the matter.

After arguments, Justice Emeka Nwite adjourned to July 17 for ruling and arraignment. (vitalnewsngr.com)

 

Tags: BelloCourtEFCCFraud
Previous Post

Nigerian Woman Pregnant With Triplets Dies In UK

Next Post

NELFUND Approves Immediate Disbursement Of Student Loan To Successful Applicants

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi
Judiciary

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

February 21, 2026
Former Minister, Tanimu Turaki, Emerges Northern PDP Consensus Candidate As National Chairman
Judiciary

Court Nullifies PDP National Convention, Sacks Turaki, Other NWC Members

January 30, 2026
Three Sentenced To Death For Kidnapping, Rape, Armed Robbery  In Ilorin
Judiciary

Three Sentenced To Death For Kidnapping, Rape, Armed Robbery In Ilorin

January 27, 2026
Ekelekamchukwu Ngwadom, Nigerian Traditional Ruler, Convicted, Sentenced, For $70,000 Medicaid Fraud In US
Crime

Ekelekamchukwu Ngwadom, Nigerian Traditional Ruler, Convicted, Sentenced, For $70,000 Medicaid Fraud In US

January 22, 2026
Kwara Court Jails Illegal Miner Five Years
Judiciary

Kwara Court Jails Illegal Miner Five Years

January 21, 2026
Next Post
Student Loan Programme For Both Federal, State Institutions – NELFUND

NELFUND Approves Immediate Disbursement Of Student Loan To Successful Applicants

Ogun Begins Allocation Of Housing Units To Subscribers July 1

Ogun Begins Allocation Of Housing Units To Subscribers July 1

Stop Promoting Atrocious Ethnic Agenda In Kogi Over Election You Lost Woefully, Group Warns Disgruntled Politicians

Stop Promoting Atrocious Ethnic Agenda In Kogi Over Election You Lost Woefully, Group Warns Disgruntled Politicians

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

Syphilis Cases In Babies On Increase In Canada

Syphilis Cases In Babies On Increase In Canada

3 years ago
LCCI Expresses Concern Over Impacts Of Rising Inflation, Interest Rates On Economy

LCCI Expresses Concern Over Impacts Of Rising Inflation, Interest Rates On Economy

1 year ago
Elections Won’t Hold In 240 Polling Units In 28 States, FCT – INEC

Elections Won’t Hold In 240 Polling Units In 28 States, FCT – INEC

3 years ago
FG Says Floods Looming, Alerts Nigerians To Rising Levels Of Water In River Niger

Niger Govt. Confirms 22 Dead In Boat Mishap, 18 Bodies Recovered

1 year ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security students Tinubu troops US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Ramadan, Lent : Abiodun Salutes Muslim, Christian Faithful, Seeks Prayers For Nigeria, Leaders

Trending

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying
Politics

TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act

by Vital News
February 21, 2026
0

The Tinubu Media Support Group (TMSG) has endorsed President Bola Tinubu's swift assent to the Electoral Act...

Gov. Abiodun Appoints Nine Permanent Secretaries, New Principals-General, Headteachers-General

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

February 21, 2026
Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

February 21, 2026
Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

February 20, 2026
Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

February 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act February 21, 2026
  • Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process February 21, 2026
  • Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore February 21, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In