• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home National

Matawale Makes U-turn, Reopens NTA, FRCN, Other Shut Media Houses

Vital News by Vital News
October 18, 2022
in National, News
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Gusau – Zamfara State Government has withdraw its order shutting down five broadcast stations in the state, with an apology to those affected.

The government had earlier ordered the closure of some media houses in Gusau, the state capital, for providing coverage for a political rally organised by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The affected media stations are the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN)’s Pride FM, Gamji TV, and FM, Al umma TV.

This is coming after the state governor, Bello Matawalle, had announced a total lockdown in Anka, Bukkuyum and Gummi LGAs of the state following the resurgence of bandit attacks.

Matawalle also ordered the suspension of political meetings and activities in the affected communities.

RelatedStories

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Ramadan, Lent : President Tinubu Greets Muslims, Christians

7 Die In Ota Toll Gate Accident, Abiodun Condemns Reckless Driving, Orders Probe Into Tragedy

Ogun Clears Eight-Year Pension, Gratuity Backlog Of Retirees — Finance Commissioner

Speaking on the issue, Abdullahi Shinkafi, chairman of the state committee on prosecution of banditry and related offences, apologised to the media during a press conference on Monday.

Governor Matawale 

Shinkafi said the government was angered by the alleged violation of the executive order.

He said the “illegal political gathering” led to a security breach, adding that “the police has confirmed that one man was shot dead and 18 others injured during the event”.

Shinkafi said the government’s action attracted reactions and criticisms from various organisations and agencies.

He said the government had withdrawn the order given to the commissioner of police to arrest and prosecute personnel seen around the affected media organisations.

He said the government had also withdrawn the security forces deployed in the media houses to allow the personnel to resume their work.

He urged the media organisations and all journalists to respect the state laws and support the government in its effort to tackle banditry and kidnapping.

The Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE), on Monday, described the closure of the stations as “unlawful” and “unconstitutional”.

President and General Secretary of the NGE, Mustapha Isah and Iyobosa Uwugiaren, respectively said no state government had the right to shut any media house.

“While the NGE doesn’t even want to go into the illegality of the ban on political activities in that state, our primary concern here is the unlawful and unconstitutional action of the state governor against the affected stations for carrying out their constitutional and social obligations – of reporting events and keeping the citizens informed of political developments in the state,” the NGE said.

“In fact, the shut stations would have been accused of unprofessional misconduct if they didn’t cover that rally. We are also encouraged by the fact that the regulatory agency of broadcasting, the NBC, has also condemned the unlawful action of Governor Bello Matawalle.

“The media reserves the right to cover all events, whether or not they are banned. No state government reserves the right to shut down any media house, in spite of their perceived infractions

Tags: housesmediaSecurityShut
Previous Post

71 VVF Survivors Get N2.93m Grant In Kaduna

Next Post

Priority Investments In Infrastructure, Core Industries will Boost Nigeria’s Economy – Dangote

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities
News

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

February 20, 2026
NASS, Not Atiku, Can Legislate Tax Laws For Nigerians -TMSG
National

Ramadan, Lent : President Tinubu Greets Muslims, Christians

February 18, 2026
FRSC Confirms 10 Dead, 11 Injured In Crash On Lokoja – Obajana Road In Kogi
News

7 Die In Ota Toll Gate Accident, Abiodun Condemns Reckless Driving, Orders Probe Into Tragedy

February 17, 2026
Ogun Clears Eight-Year Pension, Gratuity Backlog Of Retirees  — Finance Commissioner
Labour

Ogun Clears Eight-Year Pension, Gratuity Backlog Of Retirees — Finance Commissioner

February 17, 2026
At Kaduna International Trade Fair, Dangote Group Spotlights Vision 2030
Business

At Kaduna International Trade Fair, Dangote Group Spotlights Vision 2030

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Priority Investments In Infrastructure, Core Industries will Boost Nigeria's Economy - Dangote

5 Die, 3 Injure In Kogi Auto Crash

ISWAP Claims Responsibility For Bloody Attack On Kogi Church

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

TCN Blasts IBEDC, BEDC For Telling Lies To Cover Up Inability To Supply Electricity To Customers

TCN Blasts IBEDC, BEDC For Telling Lies To Cover Up Inability To Supply Electricity To Customers

2 years ago
Tinubu To Swear In New Ministers Monday, August  21

Insurgency : FG Says 23,000 Nigerians Missing In 10 years

2 years ago
Ododo Commends Youths, Students For Supporting, Cooperating With State Govt.

Ododo Commends Youths, Students For Supporting, Cooperating With State Govt.

1 year ago
Sex Workers Drag Ondo Man To Court For Paying With Fake Alert

Vote Buying Allegation Against Gov. Abiodun, belated, An Afterthought – Appeal Court Agrees With Tribunal

3 years ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security students Tinubu troops US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Ramadan, Lent : Abiodun Salutes Muslim, Christian Faithful, Seeks Prayers For Nigeria, Leaders

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

Ramadan, Lent : President Tinubu Greets Muslims, Christians

Trending

Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi
Judiciary

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

by Vital News
February 21, 2026
0

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has appealed against the judgment of a Federal High Court in Lagos,...

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

February 20, 2026
Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

February 20, 2026
Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG  Donates Car

Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car

February 20, 2026
Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

February 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore February 21, 2026
  • President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence February 20, 2026
  • Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering February 20, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In