• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home Foreign

I.C.C. Issues Arrest Warrants For Netanyahu And Gallant

Vital News by Vital News
November 21, 2024
in Foreign, News
0
I.C.C. Issues Arrest Warrants For Netanyahu And Gallant
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The International Criminal Court on Thursday issued arrest warrants for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel and the former Israeli defense minister, Yoav Gallant, for crimes against humanity and war crimes in the Gaza Strip.

Karim Khan, the court’s chief prosecutor, had requested the arrest warrants in May for the two Israelis, alongside three top Hamas officials. Israel has fiercely contested the court’s allegations, which include the use of starvation as a weapon of war and “intentionally directing an attack against the civilian population.”

The court on Thursday also issued a warrant for the arrest of Muhammad Deif, Hamas’s military chief, for crimes against humanity, including murder, hostage taking and sexual violence.

Israel said in August that it had killed Mr. Deif. Mr. Khan had also sought arrest warrants for Yahya Sinwar, the leader of Hamas, and Ismail Haniyeh, another top figure in the militant group, both of whom were later killed by Israel.

The warrants added to Israel’s declining legitimacy on the world stage, where it has faced increasingly fierce condemnation over its conduct of the war against Hamas in Gaza.

RelatedStories

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

7 Die In Ota Toll Gate Accident, Abiodun Condemns Reckless Driving, Orders Probe Into Tragedy

Ogun Clears Eight-Year Pension, Gratuity Backlog Of Retirees — Finance Commissioner

Israel insists that it fights in accordance with the international laws of war.

Just two weeks ago, Netanyahu fired Gallant over differences on strategy for the Gaza war, a move that set off protests across Israel. Gallant had been pushing for an immediate cease-fire deal in Gaza that would secure the release of hostages held there.

His dismissal removed the main proponent in the Israeli government for such an agreement.

Netanyahu’s office condemned the I.C.C.’s decision to issue arrest the warrants, rejecting what it described as the court’s “absurd and false accusations.

“Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will not surrender to the pressures,” the Israeli leader’s office said in a statement.

“He will not recoil or withdraw until all of the war’s goals — that were set at the start of the battle — are achieved.”

One practical consequence of an I.C.C. arrest warrant: It will complicate Netanyahu’s travel. President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia has severely curtailed his trips abroad since the I.C.C. issued a warrant for his arrest last year in relation to the invasion of Ukraine.

Putin has only tested the warrant once — in September, when he visited Mongolia, a country highly dependent on Russia.

Izzat al-Rishq, a senior Hamas official, said in a statement that whether or not the two Israelis were arrested, “the truth that has been revealed is that international justice is with us and against the Zionist entity,” a reference to Israel.

He did not immediately comment on the warrant for Muhammad Deif, the Hamas military chief.

Human Rights Watch welcomed news of the arrest warrants and said they “break through the perception that certain individuals are beyond the reach of the law.”

Balkees Jarrah, associate international justice director at the organization, said the I.C.C.’s effectiveness “will depend on governments’ willingness to support justice no matter where abuses are committed and by whom,” adding: “These warrants should finally push the international community to address atrocities and secure justice for all victims in Palestine and Israel.”

The I.C.C. prosecutor had sought warrants for 3 Hamas leaders. At least 2 were killed.

The court’s chief prosecutor initially sought arrest warrants for three Hamas leaders.

The International Criminal Court on Thursday issued an arrest warrant for a single Hamas official — not three as the chief prosecutor had initially sought in May.

That’s because two of them have since been killed.

Karim Khan, the court’s chief prosecutor, requested the warrants after investigating Hamas’s attack on Israel in October 2023 and Israel’s subsequent bombardment and invasion of Gaza.

In May, Mr. Khan asked the court to issue warrants for Hamas’s top leader in Gaza, Yahya Sinwar; its political leader, Ismail Haniyeh; and its military chief, Muhammad Deif.

He accused them of war crimes and crimes against humanity for the killing of civilians and the capture of hostages during the October 2023 attack, as well as maltreatment of and sexual violence against hostages during their captivity in Gaza.

The requests required approval by judges from the I.C.C., the world’s top criminal court. That took months.

In the meantime, Mr. Haniyeh was assassinated in the Iranian capital, Tehran, in July, a killing widely attributed to Israel.

The court subsequently announced that it had terminated proceedings against him.

And Israeli forces killed Mr. Sinwar in a firefight in Gaza in October.

As for Mr. Deif, Israel claimed to have killed him in an airstrike in Gaza in October. On Thursday, the court said it was “not in a position to determine whether Mr. Deif has been killed or remains alive” and was therefore issuing the warrant for his arrest.

The I.C.C.’s arrest warrants were issued as Netanyahu met with a top U.S. official pushing for a cease-fire in the war between Israel and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

The warrants pertained only to Israel’s fight with Hamas in the Gaza Strip, but the conflict has expanded since they were first requested in May.

Israeli leaders criticized the decision to issue arrest warrants for Netanyahu and Gallant.

“The decision has chosen the side of terror and evil over democracy and freedom,” said Isaac Herzog, the Israeli president, accusing the court of turning “the very system of justice into a human shield for Hamas’s crimes against humanity.” Itamar Ben-Gvir, the hardline Israeli national security minister, said Israel should annex the occupied West Bank in response to the court’s decision.

Benny Gantz, an Israeli opposition leader and critic of Netanyahu, slammed the warrants as “a historic disgrace that will never be forgotten.”

Many in Israel still see the war in Gaza — launched last year in response to Hamas’s attack on southern Israel — as fundamentally just.

While Netanyahu’s opponents have criticized his government’s failure to bring home the hostages taken by Hamas in that attack, there is less criticism over the civilian toll in Gaza.

Israel is not a member of the I.C.C. and does not recognize its jurisdiction in Israel or in Gaza, so Netanyahu and Gallant will not face any risk of arrest at home.

But the warrants mean that they could be arrested if they travel to one of the court’s 124 member nations. That includes most European countries, though not the United States. (New York Times)

Tags: arrestHamasIsraelwarrant
Previous Post

NIWA MD, Oyebanji Says Drug Abuse, Disregard For Rules, Regulation Responsible For Incessant Boat Mishaps

Next Post

Troops Kill 115 Terrorists, Arrest 289 Others In One Week

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

Gov. Abiodun Appoints Nine Permanent Secretaries, New Principals-General, Headteachers-General
Culture

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

February 21, 2026
Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities
News

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

February 20, 2026
FRSC Confirms 10 Dead, 11 Injured In Crash On Lokoja – Obajana Road In Kogi
News

7 Die In Ota Toll Gate Accident, Abiodun Condemns Reckless Driving, Orders Probe Into Tragedy

February 17, 2026
Ogun Clears Eight-Year Pension, Gratuity Backlog Of Retirees  — Finance Commissioner
Labour

Ogun Clears Eight-Year Pension, Gratuity Backlog Of Retirees — Finance Commissioner

February 17, 2026
At Kaduna International Trade Fair, Dangote Group Spotlights Vision 2030
Business

At Kaduna International Trade Fair, Dangote Group Spotlights Vision 2030

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Troops Kill 152 Terrorists, Arrest109 In One Week

Troops Kill 115 Terrorists, Arrest 289 Others In One Week

Hardship : LASG Extends Work-From-Home Policy By Three Months

Sanwo -olu Unveils 2025 N3trillion Budget Estimates For Lagos

22nd Edition Of National Sports Festival Now To Hold January 2025  –  FG

15,000 Athletes To Participate In 2024 Gateway Games - Olopade

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

Proposed Merger Of Dangote Sugar Refinery, NASCON Allied Industries, Dangote Rice Will Benefit Stakeholders – Ravindra

Proposed Merger Of Dangote Sugar Refinery, NASCON Allied Industries, Dangote Rice Will Benefit Stakeholders – Ravindra

3 years ago
CEPACS @ 50 : African Catholic Bishops Converge In Lagos For Landmark Anniversary

CEPACS @ 50 : African Catholic Bishops Converge In Lagos For Landmark Anniversary

2 years ago
Lagos Assembly Rejects Sanwo – olu’s 17 Commissioner Nominees

Sanwo-Olu Sends 17 New Commissioner Nominees To Lagos Assembly

2 years ago

Group calls on INEC to extend voter registration beyond July 31

4 years ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security students Tinubu troops US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Ramadan, Lent : Abiodun Salutes Muslim, Christian Faithful, Seeks Prayers For Nigeria, Leaders

Trending

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying
Politics

TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act

by Vital News
February 21, 2026
0

The Tinubu Media Support Group (TMSG) has endorsed President Bola Tinubu's swift assent to the Electoral Act...

Gov. Abiodun Appoints Nine Permanent Secretaries, New Principals-General, Headteachers-General

Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process

February 21, 2026
Police Begin Manhunt For Killers Of Three Officers, Two Vigilante In Kogi

Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore

February 21, 2026
Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

February 20, 2026
Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

February 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • TMSG Hails President Tinubu’s Swift Assent To 2026 Electoral Act February 21, 2026
  • Ogun Dissociates Itself From Rumours Of Selection Of Prince Kuye As New Awujale, Halts Selection Process February 21, 2026
  • Police Appeals N30million Damages Awarded to Sowore February 21, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In