• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
Vital News
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security
No Result
View All Result
Vital News
No Result
View All Result
Home Environment

Flooding : Lagos Begins Removal Of Structures On Drainage Setback

Vital News by Vital News
April 29, 2024
in Environment
0
Flooding : Lagos Begins Removal Of Structures On Drainage Setback
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Lagos State Government says the ongoing removal of all contravening structures under the System I drainage channel midstream (Odo Iya Alaro) Ojota and Ogudu, is to address major flooding issues on the mainland and its environs.

The state Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Mr. Tokunbo Wahab stated this in Sunday .

Wahab spoke when he led some officials on an inspection tour to the enforcement sites to ascertain the level of compliance by property owners and the extent of work.

He explained that System I was established in 1974 and it is the biggest and widest Primary Channel that defloods the major parts of the mainland which cuts across Ogudu, Ojota, Ifako, Gbagada and Maryland.

The Commissioner added that the flyover bridge coming from Odo Iyaloro will cut across these areas.

RelatedStories

BEBM Exhibitions Congratulates Dr Obadaki On Emergence As First Female Fellow Of NIESV

Zulum Receives 7 Ambassadors, UN Officials On Humanitarian Visit To Maiduguri

Dangote Cement Unveils FairPlay Initiative To Ignite Safety Culture Transformation In Ibese Plant

Kogi Invalidates Fraudulent Certificates Of Occupancy, Reclaims Illegally Acquired Properties

Wahab stressed that government has been having discussions with property owners/residents since the year 2021 and the conversation ended in November 2023.

He stated that contravention notices have been served to owners of buildings lying within 140 metres of System I since year 2021.

“We found out that people have gone back to encroach on the right of way and alignments.

“Since 2021, we have been engaging the homeowners and residents where the government has been notifying them of impending enforcement without which we cannot abate flooding,” he said.

The Commissioner explained that property owners whose buildings fall within the approved 140 metres Right of Way of the channel had been given the option of voluntary compliance for almost three years now.

He added that the government also discovered that while contravention notices had been served and dialogue on a way forward was being explored, some of the property owners continued with the construction of new buildings that surfaced in the areas now.

He explained that the property owners/residents affected were advised for about three years to voluntarily remove the contravening structures before the state government officials commenced the enforcement but were foot-dragging.

According to him, the conversation ended officially in November 2023 when they were asked to come forward with their documents and approvals and we found out that most of them do not have any.

He stressed that it has been observed that all the structures on the System I Right of Way have no valid documents from the government as such all the structures will have to be removed.

He stressed that the original dimension was 140 metres before the alignment but the State government is willing to put a human face to the enforcement process.

Wahab charged Lagosians to respect the State Drainage Master Plan to avoid property demolition, insisting that there was no going back on the decision of the state to enforce the law and reclaim Drainage setbacks following the expiration of the notices issued.

He advised residents to always visit necessary government agencies when doing their land searches, especially the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources to get their Drainage clearance as this will suffice for them in case of any occurrence in future.

The Commissioner was accompanied by the Permanent Secretaries, Environmental Services, Gaji Omobolaji Tajudeen; Office of Drainage Services, Engr. Mahamood Adegbite; MD, LAWMA, Dr. Muyiwa Gbadegesin; GM, LASPARK, Mrs. Adetoun Popoola; General Manager, LASEPA, Dr. Tunde Ajayi; General Manager, LASWMO, Engr. Adefemi Afolabi and some Directors.

The team also visited Okota, Faseun Bridge System 6E, off Ago Palace Way as the Ministry is set to commence major maintenance dredging to curb flooding and proffer lasting solutions to waste that usually gets stuck under the bridge.

The Special Adviser on Environment, Mr. Kunle Rotimi-Akodu said the government is determined to find a realistic solution to the issue of flash flooding in every part of the state.

According to him, the world has changed and everyone must put in place various measures to mitigate the adverse effects of global warming and other environmental issues confronting human existence.
(vitalnewsngr.com)

Tags: Floodsremovalsetback buildings
Previous Post

Lagos Begins Medical Screening Of Intending Muslim Pilgrims To 2024 Hajj

Next Post

How 19 Persons Died In Kogi Road Accident – FRSC

Vital News

Vital News

RelatedStories

BEBM Exhibitions Congratulates Dr Obadaki On Emergence As First Female Fellow Of NIESV
Environment

BEBM Exhibitions Congratulates Dr Obadaki On Emergence As First Female Fellow Of NIESV

February 13, 2026
Zulum Receives 7 Ambassadors, UN Officials On Humanitarian Visit To Maiduguri
Environment

Zulum Receives 7 Ambassadors, UN Officials On Humanitarian Visit To Maiduguri

February 4, 2026
Dangote Cement Unveils FairPlay Initiative To Ignite Safety Culture Transformation In Ibese Plant
Business

Dangote Cement Unveils FairPlay Initiative To Ignite Safety Culture Transformation In Ibese Plant

January 29, 2026
Kogi Invalidates Fraudulent Certificates Of Occupancy, Reclaims Illegally Acquired Properties
Environment

Kogi Invalidates Fraudulent Certificates Of Occupancy, Reclaims Illegally Acquired Properties

January 15, 2026
Ogun Govt Promises To Deliver 3,000 Housing Units In 2026, Targets 10,000 By 2027
Environment

Ogun Govt Promises To Deliver 3,000 Housing Units In 2026, Targets 10,000 By 2027

January 6, 2026
Next Post
FRSC Confirms Death Of 19 Persons In Accident On Oyo – Ogbomoso Road

How 19 Persons Died In Kogi Road Accident - FRSC

Explosion : Ogun Seals Abeokuta Gas Company

Explosion : Ogun Seals Abeokuta Gas Company

Q1 : More Nigerians Buy Dangote Cement, Sales Volume Rises By 26.1% To 4.6MT

Truck Involved In Okene Accident Not Our Own - Dangote Cement

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us

Recommended

2023: Watch your utterances, PDP BoT tell aspirants

4 years ago
NUEE Asks FG To Declare State Of Emergency In Power Sector

Stop Misleading Narratives. Majority Of Nigerians Still Enjoying Electricity Subsidy – TMSG Tells Critics

2 years ago

Gunmen assassinate Nasir, Katsina Commissioner

4 years ago
Police Arrest NURTW President, Seal National Secretariat

Police Arrest NURTW President, Seal National Secretariat

3 years ago

Instagram

    Please install/update and activate JNews Instagram plugin.

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

Topics

Abiodun Abuja APC arrest Atiku Bandits Bello Benue Buhari CBN cement Court Dangote death dies drugs Economy EFCC Election FG Hajj INEC Kano kidnap Kill Kogi Kwara Lagos NDLEA Niger Nigeria Ododo Ogun Oyo PDP Police Power refinery rescue road Security students Tinubu troops US
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Ramadan, Lent : Abiodun Salutes Muslim, Christian Faithful, Seeks Prayers For Nigeria, Leaders

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying

Ramadan, Lent : President Tinubu Greets Muslims, Christians

President Tinubu Signs Amended Electoral Act 2026 Into Law

Trending

Ahead FCT Area Council Election, INEC Reaffirms Neutrality, Warns Against Vote Buying
Politics

President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence

by Vital News
February 20, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has called on voters, security agencies, and officials of INEC to conduct themselves in...

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering

February 20, 2026
Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG  Donates Car

Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car

February 20, 2026
Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

Kwara Launches Operation Savannah Shield To Tackle Banditry, Terrorism

February 20, 2026
Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

Dangote Cement Donates Security Posts To Kogi Host Communities

February 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Vital News

Vital News is an online newspaper with a mission to uphold professional journalism by reporting and publishing only facts and figures-based news reports across Nigeria and beyond.

Recent News

  • President Tinubu Urges INEC To Use FCT, Rivers, Kano Elections To Strengthen Voters’ Confidence February 20, 2026
  • Zulum Commits N12.9bln To Training Of 54 Borno Indigenes In Aerospace Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering February 20, 2026
  • Abiodun Rewards Nigeria’s Best Teacher with Two-Bedroom Flat, FG Donates Car February 20, 2026

Categories

  • Agriculture/ Water/ Mineral
  • Aviation
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Gender
  • Health
  • Judiciary
  • Labour
  • Maritime/ Marine Transport
  • National
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Power
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Transport
  • Uncategorized

© 2022 Vital News - . All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Frontpage
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More
    • Crime
    • Judiciary
    • Security

© 2022 Vital News - Vital News by Vital News.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In